All posts by parktonpayne

December update

Hi All. Sorry I dropped off for a while.  I went back to Pittsburgh in November to work for Detail King (my sponsor), my feet and ankles were really bothering me. Put a lot of stress on them between running from OR to Chicago last year and then hiking the AT this summer.

Now that I am healing I am itching to hit the pavement again.   Going to give it a couple of more weeks until after the Christmas to see how my feet and ankles are healing.

Thank you for all your support and encouragement!!!!

Until the, have a Merry Christmas!  Peace.


November 7

Rainy day in southern Mississippi. It was warm so I really didn’t mind. I really only notice I  am wet when I go into a store or gas station for food then the AC hits me like a ton of bricks.  Made it to Johnny RV resort in Theodore LA. At first they said they wouldn’t let me set up the tent, even if I paid for a full hook up. When I was about to leave I saw this big dude with DIRT NAP written across his knuckles. We got to talking. He just retired as an MMA fighter. He went back in and the next thing I know I have a cabin with a shower and tv! Super good price so I offered to help with clean up from the storm since I will be here all weekend.  Later in the afternoon there were some kids on bikes and skateboards.  One kid, Josh, reminded me of me when I was his age (12). I had them fooled that I couldn’t skateboard and was acting like I had no balance then started doing tricks. Pretty funny to see their reactions. We tossed the football and just hung out.  Then there was all this commotion about the Louisiana game. They looked at me like I had 2 heads when I asked what that was all about. I guess they REALLY like their college football down here.

My foot has been hurting. I think there may be a piece of glass in there still. I will go to a doc in a box Monday if it still bothers me.

I only have about 70 more miles to go to get to Gulfport where Molly will fly into on Thursday.  The planters faciaitis and stress sprain have been bothering me so having a day off will be good, will need it to make it the last 80 miles.


Days 19-21- Alabama 

The fast few days have far from easy, it all started when I woke up on the 2nd and something wasn’t right… All day I felt this enormous amount of weight on my shoulders, I didn’t have an appetite and I mostly ate candy. I know it’s all mental stuff going on tho and the injure isn’t slowing me down too to much and like I said earlier when I run that after a few miles my legs tingle up and go knumb but it’s because I think I’m stopping. Everyday and all I think about giving up, it’s something anyone would, I mean it’s just tough mentally. With my other trips it wasn’t as difficult as it is now, every Fall I find myself slipping away from what actually going and with a trip going on it’s pretty damn tough. My foot hurts but I know myself better than anyone else and I know when my body is shutting down, my foot isn’t the thing that’s actually holding me back, it’s my mind. Stopping the trip would beat me up more actually completing it. When I was out on the trail something told me that I had to do trip, I had to help out children somewhere where there actually need it, somewhere where you would never think to bring help. As you read this there’s things happening to children out there who are witnessing things that will haunt them forever. That’s someone’s fucking kid and were worried about turning down the AC b/c it’s too hot or mad they clogged their toilet. Something hit me when I was hiking that told me that I had to help out someone I’ve never met and build a place for these kids to have a goodnights rest that we all take for granted. We were given this life for a purpose and whatever that purpose or cause is is for you find out, I found out school wasn’t my thing (it never was) and the business field where I were a suit and tie and work in a 5×5 cubical isn’t my thing either. I could never sit in one place so what hell why not travel and raise awareness of different things that I believe in is. Its not a forever thing but it’s not over till I think I’ve made in an impact. The past few days have been hell but I kicked some ass and made it all the way to Alabama! Tomorrow I’m gonna make my way up to Mobile and try to make good miles b/c I’m not trying to stay in a city. I can’t believe I’ve come all this way in such good timing averaging 30 miles day from the Keys to Alabama-650 miles barefoot and still moving!  




























 The only thing I believe that is keeping me going are the prayers people send me, when you meet someone you never thought existed and you share a conversation no matter how long it is, if you listen closely you find something in those words that will help you down the road. All we have to do is listen…..

Day 18- 33 Miles 

Cole Ridge Campground- Bristol

  • Today started bad and it’s looking like it’s ending bad too, I broke the quick release pin on my front wheel to the stroller last night and ended up having a cop give me a ride the last 3 miles to the campground. I gave my friend Will in Tallahassee to see if he could pick me up the piece I need and he was more than happy too so when he arrived to the campground around 10 we ended up find out it was the wrong sized pin so we drove back to Tallahassee to get a new and a spare in case! On the way back we stopped at a gas station to pick up a few snacks and when my total came out to be $20 in  candy Will beat me to the punch and paid for my snackage for the day which was super nice!!! I finally got on the road around 11:30 and a few miles into my run my foot began hurting really bad again but this time is was a hot burning sensation and it took over my whole foot and it made me come to a complete stop. I didn’t step on anything and nothing went into my foot but the pain was in the same spot it’s been since the beggining; on my second day running I noticed the pain my my right foot but nothing too serious, as the days progressed and miles increase the pain increased. It came and went but yesterday when I was in Tallahassee I went to a clinic to get it checked out and they gave me the worst news I could get, the diagnosed my foot with Plantar Fasciitis,  Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), and that I need to stop and put a boot on my foot. Well I’m not going to put a boot on foot but I also knew something was going to happen sooner or later but not this early, looking to my past and everything I’ve done in the past 18 months and to see that I’ve made it this far pretty much non stop, from biking across the country then running back to hiking the Appalachian Trail in under 3 months and now attempting to run to Alaska? My body is bound to give up on me at some point and I don’t want it too be soon… Running to Alaska is starting to look like is starting to slip away and now I’m trying to focus on just getting across now. I don’t even know how I feel now and watching everything slowly vanish infront of me, I know my health is most important thing but not finishing something I started will tear me apart and it will until I do what I said I was going to do. When I was running today that’s all I was thinking about, that’s all I do when I run is think, I think about my past, I think the things I’ve done, and  I think about what I want to do before my clock stops ticking. For the last 10 miles of day it rained on me and I was okay with it, I knew deep down my trip was slowly coming to end. I just have to try and find the joy in the journey.  I finally made it Bristol and ran up to and little motel and I think that’s where I’ll be spending my night with warm shower and AC. Molly is flying out to meet in Gulfport, MS and that’s the one thing that I’m running toward now, with in the next few days I should be arriving to town to meet up with her and spend a few well needed days together. By the time she comes out I’ll be in need of a fews off my feet and hanging out at the beach with a piña colada in my hand with my toes in the sand. 


Day 17- 37 Miles

­Well after tossing and turning all night I finally decided to get up and start packing up all my things. Something didn’t seem right this morning and I couldn’t put my finger on it. It wasn’t till my dad texted me and said turn your clock back and hour and that it was day light savings time that it made sense! After getting on the road I started finding my little groove but not so fast. I received 2 phone calls this morning from 2 different TV stations. They wanted to talk about my journey so that was cool! After the exciting news I high tailed it to Tallahassee, my first big check point!! It was a 26 mile run to Florida State Univerity where the news crew wanted to meet up. So after a 6 hour run I finally made it! My friend from High School Will enrolled at FSU and invited me over  to his place for a bit. It was great seeing him again! After the interviews I had to leave town to do more miles but it started getting dark on me! That daylight savings time was not helping… I ended up just making it in time to set up before it got pitch black! I’ll find the news articles and post them as soon as I can!


Day 16- 36 Miles 

After snoozing pretty early last night I woke up around 6 and couldn’t fall back asleep, I layed there’s and tossed and turned for 20 minutes trying to fall back asleep but it wasn’t happening! I decided to pack everything up and hit the road before 7! The sandals yesterday helped a bunch saving my feet and I was feeling a hole of a lot better then yesterday, the tops of my feet are still store but after a little bit of running it numbs up a little similar to a tattoo…in the beginning it hurts like hell but after a minute it’s just a buzz. It’s was the perfect day for running so far with it being a high of 68 and partly cloudy I wasn’t too worries about having the sun drain me. I put some jams In and ran 4 hours straight running almost a full 20 miles but I had to take a break at McDonald’s and get some pancakes since breakfast is all day now. The worst part about running high miles is that when you think you’re doing good you’re still about halfway there so after 3 packets if syrup and a large fry with pancakes I got back too it. It didn’t take long for the food to start making me dance and 15 minutes later I was high tailing in the wood for a safety check! My friend Will is in Tallahassee and said he’ll hook me up for a night when I got there so I needed to make decent miles today to get there before 3 tomorrow so that about a 28 mile day! Today was long straight road kinda day so nothing too special happened but tomorrow’s a new day and I got my miles in before 5 so I’m always happy about that! Thanks for reading and till next time


Day 15- 39 miles 

Well I ended up passing out last night around 8:30. Woke up to Yogi running around 6:00 which usually means she’s gotta do her thang outside if ya know what I mean… When I sat up to let her out my back hit the top of the tent and with all the humidity being built up it was like putting my back up against wet clothes being hung up to dry. That pretty much woke me and said “what the hell might as well start the day early…” and I packed all my gear and hit the road just after 6:30. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but my body is still adapting to everything and my appetite isn’t the same as before; it similar to when I was hiking and my diet changed rapidly b/c my body was finding itself. I’m usually eating about 5,000 calories of raw sugars a day so you can about how much candy that is and that just empty calories to replace what I’m burning. Then I eat another 5,000 calories of fast food, subway or whatever is processed and tasty. My feet weren’t feeling too hot from the day before so I slipped my Luna Sandals on and boy oh boy do I love them! They’re a barefoot running company out of Seattle that makes these rocking sandals with a strap around the heal! Check em out! So I slipped a pair of those bad boys on and took off, by 10:00am I was 13 miles in and by 1:00pm I was was still holding together at 25 miles! I took my lunch break in the town of Salem, FL to call the Mrs. to see how everything’s going on and with some more candy and feeling good I decided to take the sandals off I hit the road for 10 more miles. It wasn’t till the last 5 miles or so till I was really feeling it and regreting to wake up. Off topic real quick but that’s what I’ll always do… I’ll say I’m gonna take it easy and let my body recover but then I wake feeling cocky and take off, never looking back! It’s not till later in the day do I start to realize I went out to fast and hard but now I’m in the middle of 2 towns with little food and only a liter of water left. So now I have to keep going…. With only a few miles left I stepped on a piece of glass that I think someone out there left for me to step on, but not really tho haha. That little son of a gun slid smoothy in my foot. When I pulled it out so did all the blood. I mean it bled! After letting it bleed for a bit and washing it out with the rest of the water I super glued that cut closed. It burned for a minute while drying so I wouldn’t recommend it! I finally made it to the campground at quarter of 6 so I’m showering up and going to bed y’all. Peace love happinesss!!


Day 14 – 35 Miles

Can’t complain about waking up in bed with the AC on low…. It took a lot longer than usual to get up and roll out of bed but after running to bathroom and jumping in the shower, it only took me a minute to pack everything up and high tail it outta there. The second I hit the pavement I knew today was gotta be a little tougher than usual…. I slapped some of that paw wax on my feet and that usually does the trick. About 12 miles in the day I had to take a little break and sit down, with no shade, no shoes and it being 80 outside I was really starting to hurt. You’d think the bottom of my feet would hurt the most but honestly after a few miles my bottom of my feet begin to get a ringing sensation and soon after they kinda go numb in a way; it’s the top of my feet that get me the most! Along the outside of my feet going up to pinky toe really F!#*ing hurt as well as the middle of the top of my feet! Thankfully my shins haven’t started hurting at all. When the going gets tough you just gotta shut up and keep walking. I hit the road and put some music on and when into my little trance and space out. Before you know it I look at my watch, look at my map and realized I went another 16 miles! I was super stoked and found the nearest campground or somewhere to pass out. I checked my map and found a campground only 7 miles away. I took a breather and called Molly for a few minutes. It’s never bad to get a little motivation. I took my time making my way to campground and went to Wal Mart.  When I reached for my wallet I remembered that Detail King send me these AWESOME cards to handout and that’s what I started doing. After small talk and getting supplies I mossied on down the road and made it slowly but surely. The owners were super nice and let me stay and shower up for free!! So far so good but it’s a mental game now….


Day 13- 38 Miles

Today was the biggest day yet and I made it to the campground earlier than I expected, the day went quickly but I still felt a every little pebble under me. My feet were still a little ripped up from running in the rain yesterday but what am I complaining about? I finally hit my 400 mile mark (only 6,800 miles to go) so I’m feeling pretty stoked about that! I stayed on schedule today hitting 10 miles by 10:00, 20 by 1 and finishing the day by 4, I made it to RiverLodge RV Resort and to my surprise I’m not allowed to set up camp here b/c no tents allowed but the owners loved Yogi and my story and cut me an amazing deal and let me sleep in a house they rent out and boy oh boy is it nice, showers, TV, a kitchen, and bedrooms so life is good. I’ve been pushing my body a little too much so tomorrow will be around 30! 


Day 12- 34 Miles 

Well today was one hell of a day, I woke up to the rain drops quietly tapping my tent but when I took a look outside I could tell it’s been raining all night and there’s no signs of it slowing. With a little motivation from Molly I started packing up my camp and got on the road around 7:20. For the first couple of hours it was a nice light rain so it cooked me down but after 11:00 or so the gates opened up and rain started coming down! Rainy days aren’t all that bad, it’s just getting started that sucks and knowing when your done for the day all your gear will be a little wet. After the miles started adding up and I got to the 25 mile mark I could feel the bottoms of my feet starting to tear up from being wet all day, the wax I put on my feet doesn’t do much when it’s raining so finishing the day it felt like I was walking on sandpaper. The last 5 miles of the day was pretty gnarly and the mental game just started!